INTRO3 - Shooting Manually
Whether using your camera in any of the auto modes or in full manual, the normal exposure setting is just a guide. Often, your camera gets it wrong. To be fully creative, you need to understand what your camera is doing and be able to predict and adjust the settings to capture the shot you want.
In this San Diego-based digital photography class you will learn how your camera exposes for different subjects. By using your camera in manual exposure mode, you will learn how to meter the light in different situations. This is a two-hour workshop with many hands-on exercises. This photography class usually takes place around Balboa Park in San Diego.
- Using your camera manually allows you to be more precise and creative with your camera.
- Setting your camera for different lighting situations increases the number of successful shots you take.
- Working with shutter speeds and apertures allows you to freeze action or control the amount of background blur in your pictures.
- Taking properly exposed photos improves the amount of detail captured by your camera.
- Understanding your camera's metering system allows you to predict and compensate how your camera will work in different lighting situations..
I believe that a good photographer is one who can use their camera to produce intentional results. In Auto, your camera allows you very little creativity and it often messes up. Good photographs should not be just a happy accident!
By the end of the workshop you will be able to use your camera in manual exposure mode to choose the optimal settings for taking pictures, whether you are interested in sports, landscapes, portraits, or wildlife. You will understand how exposure works with all the available shooting modes and be able to make adjustments according to the lighting conditions. With a little practice, you’ll be using your camera like a pro!
- Combining Shutter Speeds and Apertures in equivalent exposures
- Setting Exposures and Shooting Manually
- Choosing ISO Sensitivity
- Reviewing and Making Exposure Adjustments
- Understanding camera metering methods
- Applying exposure compensation
- Using Auto Exposure Bracketing
- Fixing common exposure problems
- Photographing backlit subjects
- Exposing for high key subjects
- Exposing for low key subjects
This is a two-hour digital photography class. We will meet in fun locations around San Diego with a range of shooting subjects. Each workshop starts with an explanation of the lesson plan, in which we discuss what we are trying to achieve that day. We will then all work on a number of practical exercises with short breaks for explanation and summaries. At the end of the workshop we will come together to discuss what we have learned. The workshop is based on the contents of Digital SLR eLearning Kit For Dummies with additional exercises and information. Class sizes are small to enhance your learning experience.
|Event Date||06-26-2021 9:00 am|
|Event End Date||06-26-2021 11:00 am|
|Location||Museum of Photographic Arts|